One of my best friends is due to give birth to her second son any day now, so I thought it would be nice to surprise her with a handmade matching set for her boys to wear.
I used two patterns that I’m sure you’ve seen on my blog before; the bodysuit pattern from Brindille and Twig, and the Andover tee from Little Lizard King.
I still think this kind of neckline is one of the best designs for babies. The over-the-shoulder wrap is so flexible and means there isn’t any chance of the suit getting stuck over bubs head.
I picked up this adorable robot and planet printed cotton jersey from Spotlight, and I’m so glad I did, because my friend said that her eldest is robot-mad at the moment, and quickly exclaimed how much he loved his new shirt.
The dark navy accents were left over jersey from when I made 11 of these t-shirts. It’s from MaaiDesign, and is still the best quality jersey I’ve ever worked with.
I love giving handmade gifts, especially for big occasions such as the birth of a baby. I can’t wait to see the boys in their matching outfits!
Oh, I had fun with this one! This little Astoria Pinafore was a gift for a friend of mine who’s youngest just turned one year old. While I was sewing my last Astoria, I thought it wouldn’t be too difficult to make the dress reversible.
The pattern has been designed with a fully lined bodice, so all I had to add was a second skirt in fabric matching the lining. I also decided to use my KAM snaps for the closure instead of buttons. This meant that I could colour coordinate the snaps for either side of the dress.
I really enjoyed picking the fabric for this outfit. I started off with the mustard floral print, then I chose a complimentary solid coloured linen/cotton blend for the second side.
Even though there was a little more work involved, I think it was totally worth it! I can’t wait to see Lulu in both versions over the warmer months.
- Pattern brand/name/number: Astoria Pinafore by Little Lizard King
- Style, size: Ruffle Bodice Pinafore, size 18 months
- Fabric: Printed cotton and linen/cotton blend from Spotlight
- Notions: KAM snaps from Greenbeans Australia, my own woven label, matching thread
- Made the dress fully reversible by adding a lining to the skirt
- Used snaps for the back instead of buttons
- Rounded out the front neckline a little bit
I know there has been a lot of sewing for kids on my blog recently, and I do have a few more things to post about before bub arrives, I hope you are happy to indulge me!
Following on from my Andover Dress hack, I decided to make another but with an added ruffle. This was a really simple design change, and I’m sure it could be used on a number of patterns.
I took my modified bodice front and back pieces and found the halfway point of the shoulder seam. From there, I drew a straight line down to the waistline seam.
This split the bodice piece so there was a center panel that would be cut on the fold, and two side panels (if you try this, don’t forget to add seam allowance back into your pattern!). In between these panels, I added a cute little ruffle. I was going to make it one layer of fabric and turn the raw edge under, but it looked a bit scrappy. Instead, I sewed two ruffle pieces together, right sides facing along the curved edge, turned it right sides out, and topstitched along the curved edge.
The ruffle extends over to the back of the dress as well, making a really nice wing detail at the top of the shoulder.
- Pattern brand/name/number: Originally the Andover Tee by Little Lizard King, which I hacked into a dress
- Style/size: Ruffle bodice, short sleeve version, size 18 months
- Fabric: Cotton jersey and ribbing for neckband from Spotlight
- Notions: Matching thread, my personal label at the bottom of the skirt
- Slashed the bodice pieces to add in a ruffle that starts at the front and extends to the back over the shoulder
- Covered the back neckline ribbing with a strip of matching jersey
Little Miss certainly has a nice handmade wardrobe in the making, and I’m not about to stop sewing now!