baby sheets and my first quilt

With baby’s expected arrival only a few weeks away, I had a sudden urge to sew some bassinette sheets.

MBM_Sheet Pattern

I made a simple pattern by measuring the bassinette mattress, then I added 9cm to each side of the rectangle to go down the walls of the mattress and wrap under it. Once cut out of the fabric, I sewed the side walls together, right sides facing.

MBM_Sheets 04

I finished the edge of the sheets with some fold over elastic. This was so easy to do, and I think it gives a very clean finish.

MBM_Sheets 01

When picking the fabric for these sheets, I started by selecting this printed cotton, then chose colours and prints that matched it.

MBM_Sheets 02

This yellow print is especially cute.

MBM_Sheets 03

This green fabric has a mottled polka dot print, and it was actually the most expensive fabric of the lot. I think once bub is out of the bassinette I’ll repurpose these sheets into something she can wear (I want to get as much mileage out of this fabric as possible!).

I had an idea to use the small square offcuts made from cutting the sheets, and turn them into a matching quilt. I bought more fabric than I needed for the sheets with the quilt in mind (1 meter of each print, plus some solid colour fat quarters).

MBM_Quilt 01

I decided on a simple pattern, using a half-square-triangle design. It’s just the right size for the bassinette, so pretty small when it comes to quilts, but I feel this is a great beginner size.

MBM_Quilt 04

I managed to get some points matching up really well!

MBM_Quilt 05

Others, not so much! Haha! But I really don’t mind, I think little quirks like this add to the personality of the piece.

MBM_Quilt 02

For the actual quilting step, I kept it very simple and just highlighted the design. I did this, not only because I have a standard sewing machine, but I really wasn’t confident in quilting a free-hand pattern. I used a white thread in the top of my machine, and a pink/maroon thread in the bobbin.

MBM_Quilt 03

I cut a very small straight-grain binding, only 1 inch wide. I used my machine to sew the binding rights sides facing to the front, then turned it under and hand-stitched it to the back of the quilt. This gave me a lot of control over the mitred corners, and I really love a bit of hand finishing.

MBM_Sheets 05

I’m thrilled with this little set and I had such a great time making the quilt. I have so many half-square-triangles left over, I’m having a hard time deciding what to make from them. Clearly another quilt, but I think I can also make a cushion cover to match this set.

As I mentioned, this was my first attempt at making a quilt, and while I had a vague idea of what to do, I found Youtube to be a wonderful learning resource. I especially enjoyed watching The Midnight Quilt Show (while quilting, of course), and this video by Fons & Porter really helped with getting a clean finish on the binding corners.

GARMENT DETAILS

I loved sewing this project, and I think you will agree that the finished result is pretty cute! I’ll be back soon to show you what I made from all the left-over quilting bits.

Mitty x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s