Monthly Archives: April 2020

scrap busting platter

Hi, it’s been a while. I’m writing this in a very different world from my last post a few weeks ago. I would have imagined that with all this time we are now spending at home, I would have been able to get a lot of sewing done.

In fact, it’s the complete opposite.

Using fabric scissors, pins, and a sewing machine in the presence of a 2 year old, is (for me at least), totally unmanageable. He is at the stage where he wants to copy everything I do, so he wants to play with the scissors and cut stuff and touch ALL THE THINGS.

I’ve found that it’s much easier for me to be creative when he goes to bed at night. Which means much more knitting and crochet; tasks that can easily be done sitting on the lounge.

The inspiration for this project came from a wonderful Australian company called The Raffia Connection. They teach you how to weave your own baskets using raffia, and there are some really lovely examples over on their Instagram. I wanted to learn this craft straight away, so I purchased the online course and watched it in one night.

I really wanted to get started making something, but I didn’t have any raffia on hand. I did, however, have a heap of bits of rope left over from when I made my wall hanging.

MBM_Platter 01

I started hand sewing the lengths of rope together, and covering the join with some canvas for added strength.

MBM_Platter 03

MBM_Platter 04

MBM_Platter 05

Once I was finished, I was quite surprised how much rope I actually had! It measured just over 15 meters!

MBM_Platter 06

Finally, I could start crocheting my platter. I used some cream coloured cotton yarn I had in my stash (originally from Bendigo Woollen Mills), and the techniques I learnt in the online class to slowly build up a base.

MBM_Platter 07

After three nights work, my platter was finished, and I love how it turned out!

MBM_Platter 08

MBM_Platter 09

The base is 35cm in diameter and the walls stand about 4cm high. The most difficult part about this project (other than my hands cramping) was keeping the base flat while I worked. It started to get a bit wavy at one point, but I managed to flatten it out.

PROJECT DETAILS

This was such a great scrap busting project! I knew I hung onto those rope offcuts for a reason! I’ve also ordered some raffia to make a few baskets, so I’m sure you’ll be seeing them soon.

Stay safe,

Mitty x