peplum dress hack

The idea for this dress has been floating around in my head for a while now, and it wasn’t until the perfect fabric presented itself that I was inspired to make it.

MBM_PepDress 03

I’ve used the free Peplum Top pattern from Peppermint Magazine before (see here), and I thought it would make a great base for a dress. All I had to do was lengthen the peplum piece to be 80cm long (plus seam and hem allowance).

MBM_PepDress 07

The only bit I’m unhappy with is how low the armhole is, I should have raised it about 3 or 4 cm. I’m not too worried about showing my bra though, maybe I just need to make a super fancy bra and wear this dress to show it off!

MBM_PepDress 04

I also decided to add some inseam pockets. As you can see here, I had to sew the pocket bag from white cotton, as my fabric ran a bit short. I had enough to add a little facing, so when I slip my hand into my pocket, you can’t see the white cotton.

MBM_PepDress 05

The fabric is a beautiful, soft double gauze from Tessuti. I was so drawn to the colour, although this dress would have been really lovely in any of the colours they had in stock (a brick red, saffron yellow, white, silver, and black).

MBM_PepDress 01

This was my first time sewing with double gauze, and I found it very different from what I’m used to. The weave is very loose, which meant my neckline and armholes relaxed and stretched out quite a bit. I had to use tear-a-way to get them back into shape, then I bound them with some bias-binding. I also sewed the entire dress using my walking foot.

MBM_PepDress 02

I also had some concerns about pressing this fabric. It has a natural wrinkle which is very appealing and I didn’t want to press it out, but I always press my seams as I’m sewing. I decided to only lightly press the binding as I went and leave everything else alone. After a wash, the wrinkles all came back! Yay!

GARMENT DETAILS

  • Pattern brand/name/number: Peplum Top by In The Folds for Peppermint Magazine
  • Style/size: Size D
  • Fabric: Cotton double gauze from Tessuti
  • Notions: Self-made bias binding
  • Modifications/alterations:
    • I made the peplum pieces 80cm long, plus 1cm seam allowance at the top and a 4cm single turn-up hem
    • Added pockets to the skirt side seams
    •  Used bias binding for the neckline and armholes

This dress is very comfortable to wear, I think I’ll need to get my hands on some more double gauze soon!

Mitty x

2 thoughts on “peplum dress hack

  1. Pingback: kensington romper | Made by Mitty

  2. Pingback: true scrap busting kensington | Made by Mitty

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s