When I sat down to think about which patterns to include on my Make Nine 2020 list, I knew that I wanted to start wearing more ‘day dresses’. I searched for the perfect style, and I found it in the Shelby dress by True Bias.
The V neckline; the button-up front; the princess seams; the tie at the back! All these features lean heavily into 90’s fashion styles and I’m totally loving it!
The skirt has a substantial amount of flare, which, when made in a fabric with a lot of drape, makes for a very swishy event!
The ties at the back are probably my favourite feature. They can be tied tighter to bring the waist in a little, or tied with a bit of slack, for a looser look.
I made my dress in a printed rayon from Spotlight, and while I think this is a great match for the pattern, I’d also like to make it in something with a bit more structure, such as linen (hint: coming soon!).
I adore this dress, I’m so pleased I settled on the Shelby pattern. I’ve already worn it 3 times since I finished it, I love it so much!
- Pattern brand/name/number: Shelby Dress by True Bias
- Style/size: View A with the smaller cap sleeves, size 8 (I picked this size based off the finished garment measurements)
- Fabric: Pebble patch printed rayon “Marsala & Black” from Spotlight
- Notions: 7 metallic look buttons from my stash, matching thread
- After making a toile, I lowered the bust point about 3cm
Stay tuned, because I’ll be making another one of these very soon!